Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A few notes about Bustopia

As many of you know, because it was on this blog before, the former official recording device of Bustopia, the Noobulous' mp3 player, has broken. Or perhaps bwoken. Anyway, Episode 4 was partially recorded on that, and after it broke, recorded on the portable video player (The Archos) that Sqiblet and I share. The mp3 player recorded at the sample rate of 8000hz. The Archos, however, records at the much higher sample rate of 44100hz. The second half of Episode 5 was recorded on my laptop, actually, because I forgot to charge The Archos, but the laptop also records at 44100hz. The point is, for Episode 4, I downsampled the 44100hz audio to 8000hz, so I could mix it with the audio from the mp3 player, but if all my audio is 44100hz it isn't worth the large amount of effort to downsample it all. This means there will be a notable increase in the size of our lossless files. There might be an increase in the size of the VBR mp3s and the ogg vorbis, but the 64kbps mp3s are bitrate-capped (and mp3s are not sample based as far as I know), and those are the ones I link to, so most of you won't notice a thing. (by the way, if you take the filename out of the url, you can access the archive.org project pages, but you can also find those by Googling "Bustopia")

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that there is a misunderstanding about the email system. I am fairly certain we have at least eight listeners, yet we have gotten almost no email. You may have noticed that at the bottom of each episode it says "Send somethingorother to bustopia@gmail.com"? This is not a request. Emailing is mandatory. It is only fair; Bustopia gives you many well-developed thoughts on a regular basis, so if you are going to consume them, you are required to give us at least a few in return. Thank you for your cooperation (which I trust I will be receiving shortly in the form of angry emails promising to never listen to Bustopia again).

Speaking of episodes of Bustopia to not listen to, Episode 5 is ready and will be posted tomorrow morning, because it's uploading now and I'm going to sleep.

No comments: